Monday, June 3, 2013

Jasmine Tan - 16min improvement in 10km in Singapore Aquathlon 2013.

Note:

If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Rameshon
Bsc (Hons) Degree in Physical Education, Loughborough University (1992-1994)

Masters in Education (University of Western Australia, 2005-2008)


Jasmine Tan - Aiming for a sub-1hr km run in the next 10km race. 

Picture 1 - Jasmine Tan, the tallest person standing among the three and in 2XU attire.


Jasmine Tan, 33, a designer by profession, had a passion to do a good time for her long-distance running. When she came to see me, I did not know anything about her injury that she was carrying at her right knee. After giving her some stretching, I found that her right-hand side, the shoulder, hips and knee were tight. She followed the stretch that I instructed her to do and was asked to do a field test for VO2 max test. She was happy to do it. I found that she was fit and was not that fast a runner. That was the impression that I got when I met her. After the test, she told me that somehow her injury had earlier before the stretch had left her immediately and she felt relieved at the knee area and she told me about this. I was surprised to hear about this and was happy that these stretches are really helping her to improve her posture right from the start.

I gave her a weekly running program and from the conversation, I had with her. Recently, about following the program, she told me that she followed it religiously. I told her about diet and to improve her fat percentage in the body. She was willing to cooperate and do something about it as well.

She came for our Tuesday and Thursday training at night. Over time, she was able to make tremendous progress in running. Her first 8km time was 53min plus. The following week, the 8km time went down to 51min. She looked very happy and was looking forward to the following week's improvement. True enough, she improved her 5km tempo time to 29min plus. I could see her face beaming with happiness when she told me that she had not improved like this in her life. For me, this was an encouraging sign. Then she tapered her training down and did 5km in 30min plus the following week as she had four days to go to take part in the Singapore Aquathlon. I told her to ease down in her training. I explained the reason for this and she accepted it.

On last Sunday, I got an SMS text from Jasmine on her improvement. She seemed very happy judging from her text. She told me that she did a 1.5km swim and did the 10km in 1hr 04min 26sec. 

I had asked her why she was training with a high mileage in the past and did not have any improvement that is significant. To this, she told me that she believed that she was training wrongly. 

I felt when she told me that now, she feels the training to be structured and she feels that she is making inroads to improving her time week after week. I told her that she should have joined me in the past. She was telling me that she did not about me at that time. 

I told her that at a certain age, we can only do some exercises which are limited as compared to those that can be done by the younger people. 'Better Late Than Never'. I found that she can do some of the exercises which can expedite her performance. My take is that within 3 years she will be able to do a 20min to 21min for her 5km. It may come earlier judging from her commitment in running and her dedication in training.

Anyway, I thought of putting her one-month improvement in the blogpost to encourage people who are doing 1hr 20min for 10km to keep the faith and train and be consistent so that they can do a good time over time. I decided to interview her thus.

An Interview With Jasmine Tan.

Why did you choose triathlon and duathlon races?

Because I like three sports - swimming, biking and running. I enjoy doing these three sports.


What was the race that you took part in, recently?
I took part in the Singapore Aquathlon 2013. 


Where was it held?
It was held at East Coast.


What was the distance of the swim and run distance?

It was a 1.5km swim and 10km run


What was your swim time?

It was 41min 44sec, to be exact. 


What was your run time?

 It was 1hr 04min 26sec.


How were you able to improve from 1hr 20min (exclusive of a swim) to 1hr 04min (inclusive of a swim of 1.5km first) for 10km?
Frankly, the Team Flexifitness training on Tuesday and Thursday had helped me a lot. In the past, my 5km best time was 35min. Now, I am able to do 30min easily. I see an improvement in strength in me as well over a period of time. I find that unlike in the past, I can take a bigger stride as compared to my past when I run. In the past, I felt that I was not able to increase my strides and did not the way to improve my stride length. Right now, I do all the stretches taught religiously in the program. Whenever I feel a sensation at my knee area, straightaway, I do the stretches and the sensation just vanishes. This allows my training to continue without any disruption.


How did you feel about your improvement recently?

I have done a big personal best. I have confidence that I am able to do an hour now for 10km, right now.


What Is your target?
To take part in Singapore Duathlon and Singapore Triathlon and do well. 


 www.runningcoachsg.com If you like our blogpost, please like us in Facebook https://www.facebook.com/flexifitness.runningcoachsg


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.