Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Zoo Run - Vijayaraj, 13, ran 12km in 1hr 02min

Note:


If you are keen and have queries, please contact Coach Rameshon at 9100 4369 or you can email him at m.rameshon@gmail.com or swift.rameshon@gmail.com. Please refer to website http://flexifitness.com.sg (for more information on him and his programmes)

By Marcel Sng

Vijayraj - Chose 12km run as there were no shorter races. 

The Zoo run started at 7 30pm. As there was only 6km fun run, Vijayraj decided to reluctantly register and run in the 12km run. As he was just 13 years of age, he was thinking of doing a 1hr 10min for the race. A day before, he ran in the Sat (16th/02/2013) 4.3km Swift race in Bedok Reservoir. 

While running in the zoo run, he felt good and he managed to do a 1hr 02min. He was happy and he recounted his run in an interview form. 

An Interview With Vijayraj

How was the run?
It was fun to run and I was watching the animals while running. For this race, I told myself that to compete was not an option. This is the first time that I am doing my 12km. Because of many Flexifitness people supporting me in the run, I was very motivated to do well by completing the race in sub-1hr 10min and not 1hr 20min and above. I was very happy that the Flexifitness athletes were also running with me in my race and they did very well. It makes me satisfied that we have done well.

What made you take part in this run?
I wanted to challenge myself in terms of completing and I am very happy and satisfied with the time. I believe that Flexifitness training has helped me a lot and my stamina has improved over time. I am amazed by this.  In the past, I joined the programme to help me with my stamina. I was doing 10min 30sec in 1500m in the past. Now I am able to do 6min 00sec for 1500m race. 

Right now, I am not afraid of National Service when I reach 21. My parents were worried about this and they have given me hints to train when I am young. 

Earlier on, I was all the time afraid of my stamina. I used to get tired easily and quickly. Now things have changed and, in fact, my academic scores have improved significantly because of running.

How do you find the route?
To tell you the truth, there were too many turns and the ending point was unclear and I did not know where the finish line was. Overall, the route was ok. 

How do you find the water point?
I did not drink anything because I was not thirsty. But I found the water points evenly distributed in a way that people will not be dehydrated. That was good. 

Did you go to the Zoo after the run?
Wanted to but it was raining and I had decided to go home instead, although seeing the zoo was an important thing for me, especially after the race. However, I somehow have managed to have a peek of the animals during the race. So I am satisfied with this.

How did your coach feel about this?
Very happy as I was able to do faster than 1hr 05min for my first 12km race. In the long run, I would like to do a sub-35 min just like Ashley Liew, who is my direct inspiration, who is overseas now and I have heard that he has improved his 5km time of 16min 06sec to 15min 53sec. This is amazing. It is very hard for a Singaporean to do a sub-16min in Singapore and he has done it. I think Ashley is a role model to follow for me. 

Your future goal?
To win the best Physical Trainee (PT) in the Army. 

www.runningcoachsg.com


Note:

By Narayanan

Rameshon has taught in Hwa Chong Institution, plus several schools, and Republic Polytechnic as well. He has won many accolades and he was awarded Merit Award for 1991 marathon performance in breaking the national record of Singapore, at that time. He has made 22 male athletes do a marathon in sub-3hrs. He has made 7 female runners do sub-4 hours for the marathon, as well. He was inducted to the ‘Roll of Honour’  by the then College of Physical Education, organised by Singapore Olympic Academy, in 1998, for breaking the National record repeatedly 4 times, till he did 2hr 24min 22sec).

He also has a Coaching group and he trains them on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7pm at Botanic Gardens. Those interested can call him at 91004369 for coaching assistance, to improve performance. There is also personal training that he does for many in a week. You can e-mail him at swift.rameshon@gmail.com.